Before i did my final application i did a test run of the makeup. I done this within the studio environment to get a full experience of how i will be applying this on the day, Doing a test run would allow me to work out timing, colours, application methods, and what works and what doesn’t. This will allow for a more productive shoot, and for it to flow better throughout shoot day. In this post i will bring you through the application and makeup test run with lots of images, to explain through imagery.
I was very aware that my model was going to be blind for a long period of time for this makeup test so i wanted to make sure she was as comfy as possible for as long as possible. Aswell i had to take a number of safety precautions before applying prosthetics over the eyes. (they can be seen in the safety test).
Before i applied to prosthetic, i airbrushed her face and neck, with colour 004, this gave a great flawless base colour for the prosthetic to be applied on top of.
As this piece wasn’t as great as i hoped, i wasn’t too worried if i could see edges in this application as it was only a test pieces, but i still tried to hide them as best possible. I first applied the face pieces, i used aqua fix glue. applying it to both the face and the prosthetic waiting for it to dry and become sticky before applying, this meant when it was applied it would stay on. i repeated this process with the flat pieces onto the neck, i used IPA to blend away any edges. I then used airbrush to go over the prosthetics, an match the colour of the prosthetic to the skin. I find airbrush a really effective way in which to colour a piece, when using airbrush colours they have a silicone base, which allows the colour to take to the pieces really well. It also gave me a real natural light base, without looking painted.
Once the prosthetics where applied, i decided upon styling the hair around the prosthetic before airbrushing the colour, this gave me a better idea of the final makeup, and how it would look as an over all makeup. With the hair i followed my designs, i wanted to make the hair big and beautiful, representing the twists to flowers, i created loops and pin curls, with back combing, and pined accordingly. This was just a rough idea to get the picture of how i would like this on the day. Hair is something that i really enjoy doing but haven’t had much experience with doing this sort of style since first year, so practicing and styling was essential.
I wanted to create a all over beautiful but creative makeup and hair, so doing this i wanted to create a quite unusual hairstyle to go with the makeup. It is very important they both compliment each other. In this case using the hair styling to hide edges was essential, and worked well.
Few of these images show that i needed a lot more practice at styling the hair, and improvements that needed to be made before the final shoot.
I styled the front section of the hair first, and then decided to airbrush the colour onto the prosthetic before styling the back so my model could relax for longer, leaving the rest of the hair styling to the end. I used a number of different colours when airbrushing this, i went for a colour base of all pastel and neutral colours as i felt this would work really well with this piece, making it look beautiful and almost elegant. i thought the best way to record what colours i used, as well as document into my work. To get the pastel colours i wanted i used the colours and mixed them with Airbase 00 porcelain this lightened the colours and gave a lighter more subtle look. For the pink, i used a Blush colour to get the over all base, this was perfect for the effect i wanted.
I usede the pink blush to airbrush the flower, this took a lot of technique as it was detailed and close work. and yellow and purples to highlight and shade the pieces, and green to create leaves, i used a small brush to add detail with the colours. I worked with the colours on my design, and worked accordingly.
Once i finished airbrushing the prosthetic, i could finish the hair styling, and finish the overall look.I look a number of snaps of different angles of the makeup to get evidence and images to work from when designing and creating my final makeup. I was really happy with the overall outcome of the makeup test, it gave me great inside into what i had to improve on, and what worked and what didn’t. I really liked the colours i used and therefor will be taking this forward onto my final shoot, there isn’t much i want to change, apart from adding bits to this, and making my prosthetic pieces better, but this is more to do with the running aspect rather than the application. I gave her a pink lip, i think this was too much and in my final application i will keep the lip more natural and subtle. There are a few details i need to add, including stems for the lilly. i think the hair needs to be a lot neater, especially the back as it began to fall, but this will be approved on the day, will taking care and timing. This makeup for this test, took around 2 and half hours, with hair included, for my final makeup i am going to allow 3 hours for the final makeup, this gives me extra time to be precise and work accurately.
I took photos against a white background to allow me to look at the makeup without any distractions and assess it.