Test Pieces

IMG_5714

Before i attempted my final makeup application, i always have a practice at running the pieces, as usually the first one doesn’t quite work. Usually i run a few test pieces, to try and get a good piece to create a test makeup. In this case i Just did one practice run, and used this to create a test makeup.

IMG_5718

I ran both the pieces together, the closed squish mould and my flat piece. This saved time on silicone mixing, and allowed for me to allow for the same time for the silicone to cure. For the pieces i used an equal amount of Platsil 10 a&b – 45g.  and Softener – 30g. This was softened 30% – this made the pieces quite soft, giving movement but not too soft to distort the piece or make it sag.  Before pouring the silicone i created a base of baldies, waited for it to dry and then poured and scraped the silicone then applied two more layers of baldies to it, this encapsulated it. Before running the silicone as this was quite a large amount of silicone, i wanted to make sure there was no air bubbles, the get rid of any air bubbles that were created by the mixing of the silicone, i used the de-gaser. This was an easy machine to get used to using when shown properly by the workshop techs. This is very useful machine, in allowing less chance of creating air-bubbles in my pieces.

IMG_1993

i recorded my measurements on a loose page and photographed them to keep track on what i used throughout the process.

With my face piece, i decided upon creating a squish mould, as this was beneficial way of making my piece, in the most productive, time and cheapest way. This where all keys factors i needed to think about throughout the project not just the running of the products, although product running can become the most expensive part of the project if the silicone and various products are wasted. When running my face piece, i needed a helping hand to help hold the mould is place as i swished it around. I first began with applying 4 layers of baldies into the mould, both sides of squish mould, this would then become the flashing edges. Once this set i could then pour in the de-gased silicone and connect the two mould, apply pressure, and using bolts to tighten the mould and secure it as tight as possible to create the thinest possible edging. When running closed moulds, or any prosthetics there is always a chance something will go wrong. Its all about trial and error and working as productively and efficient as possible to maintain a great pieces. Once the pieces where secured properly i allowed for setting time for around an hour, before de moulding.

When ready to de mould my flat piece, it wasn’t a big task, i just used a brush with talc and slowly peeled back the prosthetics, releasing it from the mould.

IMG_5693 IMG_5694 IMG_5695

Doing this wasn’t as easy with the closed mould as suction was created between the two sides of the mould, to release this i needed to break the seal, and allow air to circulate around the piece, this can be done by using wooden blocks to hammer into the edges.  once this is released you can use talc to release the silicone attached to the mould.

Once i took the piece out i could access how good and useful the piece was, As this was my first piece, i wasn’t expecting it to be amazing, but i was hoping for something i could use to practice.

IMG_5720 IMG_5721 IMG_5719

When i looked at the piece i seen that a piece of the sculpt had been cut of due to a large airbubble, Allow fortunately this was not a huge issue, and could be cover when using for a test piece, although i didn’t want this to happen in my final major makeup, so i needed to think of a way to fix this or stop it from happening again. I created 3 small air holes with a drill in the mould along each side centimetres apart, this would allow the air to be released and the silicone to flow around the mould. Also i noticed with the piece, was that the baldies wasn’t very effective, as the sculpt had lots of tiny/sharp and detailed edges, the baldis got caught on these and didn’t release, Again this wasn’t a huge issue i just had to encapsulate it different, maybe with platsil A&B. These where the only really issues with the piece and where both issues i could fix, so i was happy enough to continue, and be positive about my final major makeup.

Once i had useable pieces out of my moulds i was able to start a test makeup, Test makeups are key in the process of creating a makeup look as things go wrong, don’t work and need improvising, this was the idea behind my test makeup, to be able to make my final makeup better.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s