My Model

For My Final Major project, as this was a more complex makeup, and a more extreme way of wearing makeup, through most likely blocking out the eyes, taking away vision, i needed to find not just someone comfortable in doing this but someone who can give life to this makeup without using there vision. Through past experience i found that using someone who wasn’t preferably a model/actor didn’t work quite as well, as the person would lack confidence, which mean the photos would be lacking. I decided upon using a girl model for this shoot, as i felt this would really benefit the makeup, as well as being able to style the hair in a way in which i can use. This project i really wanted to portray a beautiful prosthetic, In doing this i want to incorporate the hair into the piece, bring together almost contemporary fashion and prosthetics.

I decided upon using a previous model, Kate Turner, Katie is a third year Actor, and has great modelling experience. By using Kate with her past experience I hope that she will be able to get involved with the makeup i am creating and make it not just be a makeup but make the makeup come to life. I was very careful when picking my model, i knew exactly what i was looking for. I wanted a female, with a slim figure and good bone structure, as i want the piece to look almost delicate. i thought this would go well with pale skin, and clear complexion. I wanted her to have long hair so that i could incorporate the hair into my design while Katie was perfect for my initial ideas! She is a very photogenic , and i think this will come through in my final images, as i am wanting my piece to look beautiful and delicate.

After i decided upon my model, Kate, i wanted to get some close up photographs of her. I took shots front the left and ride side, and a front view, this allowed me to use my models face as a base for my designs. Using the models faces meant i would get a better idea of the visual design and how to place the sculpt.

292072_10152831933605532_1449945784_n

After i got my model i wanted to get some close up photographs of Kate, i took shots front the left and ride side, and a front view, this allowed me to use my models face as a base for my designs. Using the models faces meant i would get a better idea of the visual design and how to place the sculpt.

img_2658img_2685img_2664

img_2682

LIFE CASTING MY MODEL

In order to get an accorate sculpt, i wanted to work with a mould of my models face, through my years of university projects i learn different ways of life casting using various material. The two key materials where, life casting Silicone, and alginate. In pervious projects i have tried out both, both with different advantages and cons. In this project i wanted to try and keep mu budget to a minimum and cut back on the unnecessary, For example life casting silicone is quite expensive, although this meant a lot more working time was needed, this worked out ok as i had set out time in which to do this. So after weighing up the pros and cons, i decided upon using alginate to do this face cast.  I face casted her face and neck around the collar bone, as my current designs allowed for this.

10968442_351116435075952_7267747917283296011_n

As i was doing this with just the help of myself and another, there wasn’t much time for photos, i managed to get this one of myself applying the alginate. Below is a number of images from a previous life cast that i performed on Kate(the same model). This was using the same technique.

I first wrapped her hair and placed cling film all around her forehead so that her hair did not get mixed up or contaminated by the alginate, aswell as moisturising the face and anywhere there was hair, for example eyebrows and eyelashes, this is for health and safety reasons. Face casting can be quite messy so i used a black bag to keep clothes clean and to catch any excess alginate that might fall.

IMG_6149 IMG_6151 IMG_6152

I mixed up a bag of alginate, covering one cup of alginate to one cup of cool water, and applied all over the face and chest, being careful of air bubbles and the nostril, for the model to breath.I created quite a thick layer so the alginate was strong enough when peeled away. once the alginate set, i then applied a strong layer of mod rock over the alginate to strength it, roughly two layers, and three around the edges. I waited for this to set and harden before removal. Once it was removed, i layered plaster into it, to create a plaster mould and begin the moulding process.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s